[talk-au] Cycling network tag

Chik Foo fcclists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 00:14:07 UTC 2015

I tend to agree with Nicholas Barker and Steve Bennett.

When I was heavily involved in editing the map in Canberra, I had to decide
how to tag cycle networks. I chose to only use lcn for those routes which
were signed. i.e. had those blue signs with arrows showing a destination.
And I added all related ways to a relation and labelled the relation as
lcn.

This was because it was clearly an attempt by the local government to
create a network, and I felt openstreetmap should reflect that. This meant
some “highway=footway” were included in the lcn relation, because that was
what was on the ground. There were also “highway=cycleway” which I didn’t
add to the lcn network, just because they didn't yet have signposts (maybe
not ever). I only did the cycle paths, not the on-road routes.

This is much harder to e.g. Sydney CBD where there are routes and some
infrastructure, but only recently such destination signs were erected. So I
understand the local taggers use lcn directly on ways. Which to me just
means that different locations should tag things differently.

In Newcastle, I’ve been tagging from council documents, because I doubt
local council is going to do much work in putting signs up, even though
they have recently been putting infrastructure in.

I don’t though, use ncn, because there is no nationwide body building
bicycle networks. For this reason, I think the current ncn tags on the
roads between Canberra and Sydney, and Newcastle to Maitland just shouldn’t
be there. But I don’t ride those routes, so will leave them be.

I think that my map-drawing should reflect what is on the ground. Adding a
route to lcn/rcn just because “this is a good route because of elevation or
because lots of people use it” should not be the case. That would be a job
for me with a bicycle-advocacy hat on to ask a local body to put signs up.
Editing a map is much easier, well-meaning, but I also think less honest.