[talk-au] Using roads dataset from data.sa.gov.au

Henry Haselgrove haselgrove at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 01:49:26 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

I have recently been looking at the "roads" dataset on data.sa.gov.au, and
trying to figure out if there is a good way to use it in OSM.

One thing I have tried so far is to process the data in a manner that
identifies roads that are missing or incorrectly tagged in OSM.  The result
is a .osm file that contains approximately 20,000 ways from data.sa.gov.au
that are either missing or named differently to what is in OSM. The data
covers not only SA but also the western 100km of VIC. I don't think that
automatically merging this data into OSM would be a good idea, unless anyone
knows of a clever way to do that. However I reckon the file could be a
valuable source for manual edits.

I put a brief description of my work on the wiki:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/South_Australian_Roads

I would be interested in other ideas you might have for how to use the
source dataset. I should mention that, in the .osm file I have distilled so
far, I tried to include only public roads, by excluding any way that does
not have a name. About half of the source dataset consists of unnamed ways,
which seem to be a combination of private access roads and driveways, and
rural tracks. Perhaps some of this data could be useful in OSM too.

Cheers,

Henry