[talk-au] Using roads dataset from data.sa.gov.au

Henry Haselgrove haselgrove at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 00:50:10 UTC 2015

>  From: Daniel O'Connor [mailto:daniel.oconnor at gmail.com]
> Softgrow has done some work in metro Adelaide around checking roads:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_South_Australia

Thanks. I had seen the edits Softgrow has done, but I wasn’t aware it was documented anywhere

Actually this is not a false positive. The OSM version of the name has too many R’s !!

> Some of the walking trails near mt lofty

> OBahn busway probably should be excluded.

> There's a lot of little laneways, etc that are worthwhile adding in on their own.

> Given that importing this is probably not a great idea, what other ways could you present the data - as a list with clickable links to the coordatines/OSM way?

> Or even better, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MapRoulette/Challenges ?

I will try to give this some thought. I just had a brief look at MapRoulette, but I don’t really understand yet what the technical requirements are.

Just loading the .osm file as a separate layer in JOSM seems to be a reasonable way to use the data. Potentially, I could re-generate the file often, to provide an up-to-date indication of what is left to do. However there would be no easy way for someone to mark for others the fact that a way doesn’t really need changing; and that could lead to some duplicated effort.

Incidentally, I noticed that you used some of the data in the last 24hrs to update road names on KI. I decided to have a go too, adding some missing roads, also to KI. The procedure of copying a road from one layer to another, joining it to existing ways, and uploading, seems to be fairly easy once you get into the rhythm. I was able to add around one missing road every 30 seconds or so.

By the way, I have just put an updated version of “missing.osm” in my Google Drive folder, based on the state of OSM today (rather than 9 Feb, like the previous one).