[talk-au] High country huts

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Sat Jul 4 08:24:04 UTC 2015

Hi

I am new to editing.

I have noticed inconsistency in what are known in Australia as Alpine
or High Country or Mountain Cattlemen's huts.

In Victoria they are tagged  tourism=alpine_hut (see Bogong High
Plains, Mt Sterling and Lake Mountain)

In the NSW they are tagged as  shelter_type=basic_hut. (see the Snowy
Mountains, [except that you can't easily see them, eg Whites River
Hut, Schlink Hilton, Tin Hut])

I would consider retagging the Victorian huts to basic_hut or
wilderness_hut but there is a serious safety issue involved. I am
aware that I should not tag for Mapnik but downgrading the hut status
would be very risky for map users.

alpine_hut displays in Mapnik at zoom 13 but basic_hut displays at
zoom 16. It is practically impossible to find a basic_hut with scroll
and zoom, even if you know roughly where it is. I guess this is why
Victorian huts are tagged alpine_hut.

These huts are the single most important feature in Australian alpine areas.

Ideally I would like to see basic_hut or wilderness_hut displaying at
zoom 13, there is heaps of empty space, at least in Australian maps
round these huts, then I would like to see the Victorian huts retagged.

Your thoughts?

Tony