[talk-au] [SA] Survey marks released as open data

Alex Sims alex at softgrow.com
Thu Jul 30 00:53:29 UTC 2015

Hi,

I’ve noticed that the SA Survey marks have been released as open data on the 27th of July (3 days ago)

https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/survey-marks-and-survey-mark-plans-reference <https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/survey-marks-and-survey-mark-plans-reference>

This should be quite useful for georeferencing the Bing Imagery as there are many survey marks visible in the photographs and the offset is often 2-3 meters.

I’m intending to add marks I can see on the ground (square rusty metal plates about 10cm plates labelled ACC in the Adelaide City Council) and in Bing and use this to better align North Adelaide and put data in the OSM Imagery Offset database, which seems very deficient in Australia generally.

This is quite a pleasing addition but to be of value will need other mappers to use the imagery offset database, rather than simply tracing Bing without an offset. Next one on my wishlist is the Property Cadastre, which will no doubt come to pass. Off topic my previous wishes have included Traffic Volumes AADT, Road Crashes - individual crashes not summated, now all available on data.sa.gov.au <http://data.sa.gov.au/>

Alex