[talk-au] OSM people in ACT [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Simon.Costello at ga.gov.au Simon.Costello at ga.gov.au
Tue May 5 09:11:53 UTC 2015

Thanks Kristy, I would support the idea of discerning the difference between CCBY and ODBL.  THe intent of the open data policy is to make data useable with minimal restriction, and ODBL seems to be an appropriate instrument for handling this in database format.  CCBY seems ok for maps but not for databases.

I got in touch with OSM contributor Michael Cleary last week who was visiting GA as part of the Power of Maps conference.  He outlined pretty well what he sees the issues are viz ODBL vs CCBY4.0.  I am beginning to get a clearer picture on what these issues are and am keen to get it resolved, but will need continued feedback from the OSM community on this.

This is also worth bringing up in the Foundation Spatial Data Framework policy discussions which I am heavily involved in.  FSDF also needs to consider the role of volunteered geographic information in the update of national foundation spatial datasets - so there is even greater imperative to have OSM involved in those discussions.  The use cases included in the email trail are excellent examples of the need to get this sorted.

Thanks,
Simon

Simon Costello
Branch Head, National Location Information  |  EGD Management
Environmental Geoscience Division  |  GEOSCIENCE AUSTRALIA
Phone:  +61 2 6249 9716<tel:+61%202%206249%209716>    Fax:  +61 2 6249 9999<tel:+61%202%206249%209999>
Email:  Simon.Costello at ga.gov.au<mailto:Simon.Costello at ga.gov.au>    Web:  www.ga.gov.au<http://www.ga.gov.au/>
Cnr Jerrabomberra Avenue and Hindmarsh Drive Symonston ACT
GPO Box 378 Canberra ACT 2601 Australia<x-apple-data-detectors://3>
Applying geoscience to Australia’s most important challenges