[talk-au] Highway route number prefixes for QLD and NT

Leith Bade leith at mapbox.com
Tue Nov 10 06:19:42 UTC 2015

Hi,

I work for Mapbox as their only southern hemisphere contractor based in
Canberra.

Recently we begun a project to enhance our maps with highway shield images.

Most of Australia has been fairly straightforward to develop shield
selection rules for thanks to the alphanumeric system.

However there are a states where no prefix is used with numeral only
routes. Particularly Queensland (which has a mix of numeral and
alphanumeric systems due to ongoing transition), the Northern Territory,
and West Australia (which have not adopted the alphanumeric yet).

In other states prefixes are used to separate National Highways (green and
gold shields), National Routes (white shields) and State Routes (blue
shields).

Notably in Melbourne a "S xx" and West Australia a "Sxx" prefix is used for
blue shield routes. Also in Tasmania "NH1" is used for the only
non-alphanumeric route.

For national consistency I would like to change all state routes in the
Northern Territory and Queensland to use a "Sxx" prefix. Additionally in
West Australia and Northern Territory to change all national highways to
"NHxx" prefix.

There is no use of a prefix currently anywhere for a national route,
however changing the few remaining routes in West Australia, Northern
Territory and Queensland to use a "NRxx" prefix would be useful.

Finally I found state route 24 in Northern Territory is highway=trunk when
at most it should be highway=primary to match the rest of the state. Also
in Queensland national route 1 from Cairns heading out west is also trunk
when at most it should be primary since it does not connect to a major city.

I welcome any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks,
Leith Bade
leith at mapbox.com