[talk-au] Melbourne Airport (mapped as both node and way)

Alex Sims alex at softgrow.com
Thu Oct 1 02:04:25 UTC 2015

Hi,

Another “me too” as I have almost exclusively used OSM mapping in my Garmin GPS for a few years now. It’s highlighted all sorts of things, missing turn restrictions, wrong speed limits (not visible but affects routing), street names etc. Even works overseas, although I’ve mainly used it as a pedestrian, rather than driving.

I’ve added a lot of car parks at places I visit at well. I need to add a lot more addresses too.

There are however some mkgmap peculiarities and the maps that most people package up tend not to have their mkgmap configuration published and this may produces strange results in an Australian context. Some recipes tend to make a point for each area on the Garmin, so you definitely don’t want a node and an area for a single POI as you can end up with three entries. The mapping from OSM to Garmin for POI category seems also a bit variable and often not what is expected. The other weirdness is due to OSM having unlimited precision and Garmin having a max resolution of a few metres, so I might have removed a few extraneous nodes here and there :), but I try real hard not to “map for the renderer”

Alex