[talk-au] Refreshing NSW place names from the GNB database.

Andrew Davidson u887 at internode.on.net
Thu Apr 7 01:30:59 UTC 2016

There was an import of NSW places from the GNB database done back in
2008 with a helpful wiki page ;-)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NSW_Geographic_Names_Import

I'm proposing to review these to see what's changed in the last 8 years
but I've run into a number of problems:

1. It would seem that the original import was not complete
2. The nswgnb tags have not survived well
3. The GNB has "helpfully" created entries for the address localities
but these seem to have taken on the reference numbers for the original
town/village/city. They've created new entries for the original entity
but this means that the town/village/city now has a different reference
number.
4. Sometimes the locality entry has the same location but at other times
it can be separated by up to 5km.

Initially I thought that the multiple GNB references could be entered
with multiple values like this:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3118349777

but this doesn't naturally tell you how the place:nswgnb and ref:nswgnb
line up and it doesn't lend itself to adding the alt_names that are in
the database. As an alternative I'd like to use this scheme*:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/113135446

which requires swapping the namespace prefix around to make nswgnb the
namespace. I think this makes it clearer how the GNB categories line up
and can be extended for more names (There is at least one place in NSW
with three different variant names).

I'm also proposing to put the LOCALITY or SUBURB entry at the same place
as the corresponding TOWN/VILLAGE/CITY etc entry (provided that it still
falls inside the admin_level 10 boundary).

Any views on these ideas? I think the most important thing is will this
be useful for the next person who looks at this in 5 to 10 years from now?

*Unusually the admin_level 10 boundary for this area is called Lake
Tabourie and has a separate GNB entry:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4103653600