[talk-au] Mapping Military bases

Andrew Harvey andrew at alantgeo.com.au
Sat Aug 13 07:56:39 UTC 2016

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016, at 03:02 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> G'day all
>
> Question that may have been raised before (BTW, is there any way of
> searching the list archives, apart from looking at every thread in
> each month?).
>
> Do we have an Aussie policy regarding mapping of military bases?
>
> Was having fun yesterday putting in details for various small
> airfields / helipads around SEQ & I then had a look at RAAF Amberley.
> It is already marked as a military area & someone has also previously
> marked the runways & taxiways. I started adding some more details then
> had a "Should I" thought?
>
> The Wiki page http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Military points out
> that it's illegal in some areas & there has also been some discussion
> about them at: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:military
>
> So, what is the popular consensus here in Oz? Outline the boundary as
> a military area only? Base / Unit names? On-Base memorials / museums?
> Or go the whole way with marking hangars, control towers, radar
> transmitters & so on?

As far as I know there is no law preventing mapping military areas here.
Furthermore if you're only adding details which are already publicly
visible either from the air or from the ground then it's already public
knowledge, so I would go right ahead and map everything you can, using
access etc tags where appropriate.