[talk-au] Secondary roads are of primary importance.

Edoardo Neerhut ed at mapillary.com
Wed Aug 31 07:48:56 UTC 2016

Dashcam footage can also be uploaded to Mapillary as long as you have an
accompanying GPS track. Street signs that reveal turn restrictions an speed
limits can the be identified automatically in many instances. The
detections then appear in both iD and JOSM.

Action cameras and smartphones can be used to gather the same data.

Disclaimer: I work for Mapillary.

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Nick Hocking <nick.hocking at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Secondary roads often have high speed limits and are connected to low
> speed residential roads. This can cause issues with cars slowing in front
> of fast moving cars and cars crossing in front of traffic.
>
> For this reason there are many intersections on secondary roads that have
> no-u-turn or no-right-turn restrictions. Often the restrictions are time
> limited depending on whether you are travelling to the city, in the
> morning. or back from it in the evening.
>
> A lot of these restrictions are not yet mapped in OSM and will cause
> irritating and incorrect (and often dangerous) route advise for visitors to
> an area. I believe that checking all seconday roads in the larger cities
> (and wherever visitors may travel) would be really usefull in making OSM
> better.
>
> First, use an online router to rout from one end of the secondary road to
> the other. Any "squiggles" where the router takes you off the road and then
> straight back on it, will almost certainly be due to missing maxspeed tags,
> where the router is using a higer default speed for the segment that has no
> maxspeed tag.  These are easily fixed by survey.  Then do the same for the
> reverse route.
>
> Next a really usefull tool is a dash cam with embedded lat/long and audio
> (E.G Garmin nuvicam or dezlcam).
>
> Drive the route and voice annotate all turn restrictions as you see them
> (sometimes the dashcam resolution is a bit poor at speed and the signs may
> not be easy to read).   Then use JOSM, with LPI base maps and LPI imagery,
> along with your own dashcam imagery/audio to improve OSM for that road.

Kind regards,

Ed & The Mapillary Team