[talk-au] Local Government Areas without Councils

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 06:10:13 UTC 2016

Hummm
How about looking at it from a data consumers view point?
Who would use boundary level 6  and what for?

A resident/occupier/potential purchaser/developer may want to know who
is the relevant authority for a particular property ...
A new employee many want confirmation of the boundaries of the authority
they are working for.
  I suppose you could ask a real estate agent (joke) or look in OSM ...
If you are in one of these 'unincorporated areas' then with Andrew's'
'rule' you won't get an answer.. not much help.

I would think that the 'rule' is easily expanded to include
unincorporated areas.
What is/are  the objection/s to this expansion? Other than 'it is not in
the wiki'.

  On 21-Dec-16 11:35 AM, Andrew Davidson wrote:
> It's pretty simple:
>
> 1. Admin level 6 boundaries are supposed to enclose a "Local
> Government Authority".
>
> 2. In NSW the only form of "Local Government Authority" are councils
> incorporated under the Local Government Act.
>
> 3. The areas covered by these councils are "incorporated areas".
>
> 4. The three polygons in the LPI dataset labelled "UNINCORPORATED"
> represent areas that are not in the "incorporated areas" and therefore
> have no "Local Government Authority".
>
> 5. You don't put boundaries around things that don't exist.

Unincorporated areas exit.
They form a similar role to 'Local Councils'.
The areas do not overlap, in fact sharing the same ways/part boundaries.
There would be no data conflict in adding these to boundary level 6.