[talk-au] Attempt at mapping the NSW alpine area.

cleary osm at 97k.com
Wed Feb 17 05:57:30 UTC 2016

Warin This is the part of NSW with which I am least familiar but I can't
work out what it is that is being mapped. I couldn't see any relation
between Bing imagery and the tracings in your polygon. If it is actually
the area above the tree-line, then I don't have a problem with it
although perhaps it should be natural=tundra rather than landcover. If
it is a reasonably close approximation then OK but if it is a very loose
approximation, it might be better to await better information. It would
be good to hear from others who are familiar with that landscape.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016, at 03:14 PM, Warin wrote:
> Hi,

      I have made a first attempt at mapping the NSW alpine area.

      It comes from Bing imagery - probably snow cover. It is a bit
      course - so the resolution is not good.

      The question is;

      Is this good enough for use?

      As there is no information in OSM for it ... maybe it is better
      than nothing?

      Or should it be left to await better information?

      The area is in the data base as relation 5985104 tagged
      landcover=tundra (this will not render).
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5985104#map=10/-36.2121/148.5887

      It is not a complete area, there are a few bits left off .. in
      particular to the south.

      But it might be a start. I don't want to put much more work in on
      it untill I have some comments on it.

      So.. what are your thoughts? Especially negative ones!