[talk-au] LPI Base Map road names

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 11:03:29 UTC 2016

On 21/02/2016 8:49 PM, Mark Pulley wrote:
> I’ve been adding some names from the LPI base map. I was wondering how ‘accurate’ the names are. Most of the time the names look OK but I’ve noticed a couple of issues.
>
> 1. Occasionally the name of the street is mis-spelt. Sometimes it is an obvious misspelling, but I’ve put a fixme tag on at least one way for a survey check.

With my spelling it is probably me.:-)
In fact I usually have to pick up my spelling errors before they go in to OSM.
So no help there.

> 2. Sometimes the name of the way on LPI is different to the existing name in OSM. Most of the time this simply involves splitting the way where a road name changes. I’ve noticed a few times when the road name on OSM is very different to the name on LPI. Does anyone have any guidelines on when to use the name on LPI and when to use the name in OSM?

I have found some that needed splitting - say through the centre of a small town the main road changes its name from *** Highway to 'Main Street'.
I think that is normal. Same for T intersections ... all 3 ways can have different names but only have 2 at present.

On some I have used the LPI name as the name .. and the 'old' OSM name as the alt_name. I think it is best to preserve the data ... so any fixes can be easily applied by someone who knows more.

It would help if 'we' knew the source of the 'old' OSM name ... Unfortunately that is not usually the case.

So I take the LPI data to be 'best', unless there is evidence in tags or change set to suggest otherwise.