[talk-au] LPI Base Map - green areas ?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 20:50:24 UTC 2016

On 15/01/2016 11:04 PM, Marc Gemis wrote:
> What about landuse=basin ? [1]
> Or natural=water, water=reservoir [2]
> or landuse = reservoir, reservoir_type=water_storage [3]
>

> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dbasin

"An area of land artificially graded to hold water."

This area is not graded. The area does not hold water.

> [2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:water

Not covered with water.

> [3] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dreservoir

Does not store water.

This particular area has trees, shrubs. The rainfall there flows into a reservoir.

In Hong Kong ... the area is paved ... and is fairly steep. The rainfall there flows into some form of water storage. It also does not store water itself.

Both areas can use the term 'water catchment'. Similar to a funnel- it 'catches' fluid and sends it on to a storage device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drainage_basin
(This area does not 'drain to a single point' .. drains to a single area (of water)... if there was no water there .. then yes it would drain to a single point.)

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/catchment