[talk-au] JOSM Scanaerial plugin on NSW LPI layers

Ross info at 4x4falcon.com
Fri Jan 22 22:36:52 UTC 2016

On 22/01/16 23:36, Andrew Davidson wrote:
> I found while doing the few test cases that I had to:
>
> - Make sure that common boundaries use only one way (which means that the more parks, state forests, admin areas, etc that share ways the more time consuming it gets)
Why?  There is no reason to have only one way for a boundary where a
park and state forest (for example) join.  The two ways can share the
same nodes but keeping the two separate makes later editing correction
so much easier.  I'd also be very careful joining to admin boundarys
without confirming with the basemap that the admin boundary is correct.

> - Make judgement calls about if you should use the new boundary or keep the existing way where the boundary is something physical on the ground like a river bank or coastline. This is why I tagged the new ways with source:geometry so other mappers can see where they came from.

I don't think this is a good idea and your actually corrupting the
data.  The boundaries are separate to what is on the ground.  I've see
many where the boundary was where the original river was but over time
the river has moved and the boundary is no longer where the river is.
Likewise roads that have been rerouted.

> - If there are already ways in place, using the replace geometry function of the utils2 plugin to try and preserve history.
>
> The cases I tried as a test were:
>
> South East Forest National Park:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5853354
>
> Murramarang National Park:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5858067
>
> Clyde River National Park:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5857616
>
> The South East Forest case was a multi-hour mapping marathon as the park has a lot of separate sections and shares many boundaries with neighbouring state forests and parks. The other two were much simpler but Murramarang need more time than Clyde River as it has more sections and shares a lot of common ways with the coast and various rivers.
Did you compare the boundary with the coastline on the imagery? It's
probably not the same and therefore should not be joined to the coastline.

Cheers
Ross