[talk-au] JOSM Scanaerial plugin on NSW LPI layers

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 22:53:34 UTC 2016

On 25 January 2016 at 09:29, Andrew Davidson <u887 at internode.on.net> wrote:

>  The boundaries of the parks and forests are not going to be roads as they
> consist of a number of property lots that get declared for that purpose.
> Property boundaries don't run down the middle of the road, they'll be
> offset (at times the existing road isn't within the road reserve anymore).
> Property boundaries can be rivers (bank or thalweg depending) or the MHWM
> (also known as the "coast" in OSM).

If OSM was only a colouring-in exercise, then this would be straightforward.

However, roads in OSM are a vector representation of the road.  And is is
very common for the boundary of an area to be the road itself, that is
there is no small gap between the area and the road.

When the boundary of an area *is* the road, then I think it's entirely
correct to include the ways that make up the road in the multi-poly that
defines the area. Even though the vector nature of OSM slightly expands
features that are 2 dimensional when they are adjacent to features that are
1 dimensional. The data is correct.

Of course, if the boundary isn't defined by the road, but just happens to
be close to it, then that's different.

Ian.