[talk-au] JOSM Scanaerial plugin on NSW LPI layers

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 04:31:48 UTC 2016

On 25 January 2016 at 14:48, Ross <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote

> How do you know it is the physical feature?

> Just because it follows approximately the feature does not mean it is.  When originally gazetted the physical feature may have been located differently (roads, railways realigned, rivers making new paths)  Don't automatically assume that the feature is still in the same place without looking at the imagery or physical survey.  Don't assume that the boundary changes to the new position of the road, etc.

There are numerous ways you can 'know' something.  Legislation
(including regulations, court judgement) is often the primary thing
involved here.  I'm not calling on people to guess, but we should bear
in mind that OSM is an evolution, and we have often used these
features in evolving the map until we locate or have free access to a
definitive source.

> But the border has not changed the river might have but there is no change to the border from when it was first surveyed/gazetted.  The border is the line as when gazetted, not as where the riverbank is now.

I think you're wrong.  The border has been defined by High Court
Judgement as including accretions and erosion.  Including landslip
such as in the Ward case.

Of course, where the river has fundamentally changed course, the
original course remains the boundary.  But gradual erosion actually
changes the border.

Ian.