[talk-au] Response regarding use of PSMA Administrative Boundaries (Australia)

Reuben reuben_p at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 10 06:18:42 UTC 2016

On 10/07/16 14:06, cleary wrote:
> Feedback from the legal-talk list is that the reply from the Department
> of Prime Minister and Cabinet is not sufficient and therefore we cannot
> use PSMA datasets in OSM.
>
> As far as I can ascertain, the lines on the Contributors page of the
> wiki, referring to PSMA boundaries, were added by a user named Reubot a
> little over three months ago. However a search for this user returned a
> result that there was no user of this name -  I'm not sure how that
> works and someone else may understand how this could be so. This user
> also added Brisbane City Council as a source in the Contributors page so
> someone may wish to check if that data is actually permitted in OSM
> either.  I'm not sure how much data was actually added to OSM from PSMA
> by this user or anyone else.

Sorry about that, I was under the impression that it was covered by the
data.gov.au permission. I only added Brisbane and Redlands and am now in
the process of undoing. I have sent an email to QLD Department of
Natural Resources and Mines to asking for explicit permission to use
their (boundary) datasets instead.

The Brisbane City Council data should be good as I got explicit permission:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Attribution/data.brisbane.qld.gov.au_explicit_permission

Reuben