[talk-au] CC 4.0 was Re: Response regarding use of PSMA Administrative Boundaries (Australia)

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Jul 12 08:50:19 UTC 2016

The issues are essentially:

- we did not receive special permission to distribute the data in OSM
with attribution via the website. IMHO the permission we received for
earlier versions boiled down to allowing us to sub-license on ODbL
terms. This has now been implicitly denied. CC by 4.0 does have slightly
looser attribution requirements than previous versions, and it has been
argued that these could be fulfilled by attributing on the OSM website,
however even if that would be possible it would mean that we couldn't
sub-licence the data in question and would have to, in some form, pass
on the specific terms downstream. That is not only highly impractical,
but likely would cause a conflict with our contributor terms.

- the additional requirement to adhere to the AUS privacy regulations
was not addressed in the response, which in itself would be a killer.

As I pointed out on the legal talk mailing list, all of the above are
not issues for the usual suspects that offer proprietary data, google,
here, tomtom and so on, because they maintain tight control over their
downstream data users, but are a big issues for all projects that
produce open data and want to distribute their products on a unified
licence.

Simon