[talk-au] Almost finished LPI Post Offices

Frank Sundowner61 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jul 18 02:48:44 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have almost finished including the LPI Post Offices.

I have completed country NSW and ACT. These were checked with the Ozie
post website to 'see' if they were still current.. where not I tagged
them obsolete:amenity=post_office ... so they won't render but still be
in the data base for others to see. I have yet to complete the Sydney,
Wollongong and Newcastle areas. I have added addresses from the LPI base
map where I could determine it, a few of these differed from the Ozie
post data .. but either not significantly, or if there is doubt then I
included a fixme tag. All of my additions have a source tag.

I did notice that the past OSM post offices entries had some short
comings - no name, name=Australia Post .. and almost certainly no
address. Of course I did not replace these .. even where the LPI data
indicated a displacement of over 80 metres .. I regarded that as close
enough for walking distance. One was tagged source survey .. but it is
over the road in another building .. connected by a covered bridge ..
left that one there too .. but added name.

Once completed I will go back over my obsolete:amenity entries to
confirm that they are in fact obsolete ... I have noticed some
exceptions due to the way the Ozie post web search operates. :-!

--------------------

So once I finish .. then there are lots more to do.

Libraries, tourist offices, police stations for example.

If you want to do areas .. then parks, as in city/town parks?

For addresses then adding that to the major population centres streets
would be helpfull.

What will I add next to the map?

 From the LPI data .. something of use to me (i.e. none of the above :-) ).

For 'housekeeping' on the map? sport=football sport=multi and
sport=hockey still annoy me but they have little impact on the map. Yet
to clarify the city/town/hamlet problem for Australia... I need to work
on the data, particularly the population data. Yes, I know some think
that services is a better way .. but I still think that the population
gives a very good indication and can be used as a primary iteration of
the classification. And will identify those that need 'looking at'.

For the OSMwiki ..

Document sport=long_jump, tipple_jump, discus_throw and hammer_throw.

Clarify the words on the Australian tagging guide lines for 'access=no'
problem, probably more important than the sports documentation?