[talk-au] Extended Permission for South Australian Government Data

cleary osm at 97k.com
Mon Jul 25 01:51:08 UTC 2016

Recently I updated some information in OSM using data from South
Australian Suburb Boundaries and Conservation Reserve Boundaries but I
had inadvertently failed to note that the recent data was provided under
a CC-BY-4.0 licence that was not covered by the explicit permission we
had been granted (it covered only CC-BY-3.0).   I contacted Data.SA and
today I received the following response which I will incorporate into
the Contributors Wiki page.  Can't help but love the South Australians
for their positive approach to sharing their data.

Dear Michael

Great to hear more SA open data is being reused on  Open Map.

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into updating Open map and
adding Australian content.     All the time and effort you  contribute
as a volunteer is really appreciated.

The South Australian Government provides that explicit permission
previously provided is extended to include data published under the
CC-BY-4.0 licence.

I confirm the proposed statement on the Contributors page of the OSM
Wiki as follows

"Contains data from South Australian government public information
datasets. The original datasets are available from the South Australian
government data directory http://www.data.sa.gov.au/ under a Creative
Commons Attribution Licence. Where specific licence terms (such as
Creative Commons) are applied to datasets, those licence terms shall
prevail over any inconsistent provisions in this statement. We have also
been given explicit permission to incorporate and publish such CC-BY
licensed geographic coordinate datasets under a free and open license,
including the Open Database License, provided that primary attribution
is made here and that each dataset used is also listed here in the
format Dataset Name, Date Published, License, Publishing Organisation
Name, originally retrieved from http://data.sa.gov.au"

Please let me know if  you  need anything else, including requests for
data.

Thank you again for  contributing South Australian government data to
the Open Map

Regards

Alysha Thomas
Program Manager
Office for Digital Government, Department of the Premier and Cabinet
Phone: 0409 519 359
Data.sa at sa.gov.au  |  www.digital.sa.gov.au  |  www.data.sa.gov.au
GPO Box 2343 , ADELAIDE SA 5000  |  DX 142
Level 4, 30 Wakefield Street, Wakefield House, Adelaide   SA   5000