[talk-au] place=? An oldie but no past conclusion.

Alex Sims alex at softgrow.com
Wed May 4 08:28:27 UTC 2016

I’ve had an involvement in this discussion in the past and wonder if a way forward might be to include an adjusting factor for remoteness.

If you have a look at the map at http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/d3310114.nsf/home/remoteness+structure

which shows the Australian Remoteness Index this suggests that we could define town, hamlet, etc according to population but then adjust the population limits downward for remote areas.

The other point I’d make (as I did some time ago) is that the labels are “British English” labels and form a hierarchy where the names make sense in the UK but shouldn’t be taken as a slight against any area. They are merely a series of words that define the level of population centre.

Looking at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place#Populated_settlements.2C_urban_and_rural this seems to support and adjustment based on remoteness in the Australian context.

Alex