[talk-au] place=? An oldie but no past conclusion.

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Thu May 5 00:10:35 UTC 2016

I'd make two comments.

1. Any attempt to make something render on sparse parts of the map, is
a rendering issue.  Any renderer is free to pre-process the data based
on a population and remoteness algorithm if they wish.

2. Personally, I make anything a town if it has services.  If it has a
pub, a take-away, a supermarket, a post-office, and a fuel station,
then it's a town.  I save hamlet for a population grouping without any
services, and a locality for a place where there is essentially no
population clustering.  This is a natural skew towards remoter
destinations becoming towns, because they are service towns for
surrounding areas, rather than necessarily having large populations
themselves.

Ian.