[talk-au] place town subject and Download

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat May 14 02:48:03 UTC 2016

On 5/14/2016 11:30 AM, Simon Slater wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2016 07:11:39 PM Warin wrote:
> 2 things:
> First, I may have mussed up the threading here but the subject of Warin's last
> thread looked like "ᅵᅵᅵᅵ...".  My e-mail client has been playing
> silly-buggers lately, so was this the intended subject or just my client?

Yer... I think that is the use of ? and/or = characters that much up these email clients. Sorry about that, did not realise.

>> I have gotten some 1,400 'towns from the OSM data base ..
> Second, how does one extract data like this from the OSM database?  Is there a
> wikipage or other guide?

I am using JOSM -

file - Download from Overpass API
Build query ... enter 'place=town' in the box on the right then  click on the 'Build query' and that gets the Overpass query built blow your entry.
Then select the area .. if you make this too large it will time out. Download...

This gets you it into JOSM .. then save as to get a .osm file and I then use a small script to extract the name and population from that file into a .csv file.

I just followed my nose to get here.