[talk-au] Roadside rest areas tagged as camp sites

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 22:54:24 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have seen a few roadside 'rest areas' tagged in OSM as camp sites.

At least some of these are not suitable for pitching a tent .. so they
are not camp sites.

At best they could be used by a caravan/RV ... but not a tent user (I am
a tent user).

If the intention was to indicate there use by caravan/RV then they
should be tagged as 'tourism=caravan_site'.

There now exists a tag 'highway=rest_area'.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Drest_area

I think the tag 'highway=rest_area' should replace those 'rest areas'
now tagged as 'camp sites', this would be closer to the truth.

Thoughts?