[talk-au] Roadside rest areas tagged as camp sites

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Thu Apr 20 08:07:20 UTC 2017

Warin, may I please refer you to the first sentence from the
tourism=camp_site tag ?

"A campsite <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:campsite> or campground is
an area, usually divided into a number of pitches, where people can camp
overnight using tents or camper vans or caravans."

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dcamp_site

Similarily, the camp_site=* page says

"In OSM speak, a "camp site" is the larger area that contains one or
more "camp pitches". A camp pitch is the area where one caravan, motor
home or family tent is setup."

The page goes on to define camp_site=basic as applying to "Roadside
stops" as well as other likely places.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:camp_site

In both cases the meaning is clear. The term "camp site" does not in any
way imply canvas only. People may camp  there using tents, campers,
caravans or motor homes. Removing camp_site tags because the site does
not suit one particular style of camping is not appropriate.

Adding tent=no might be the solution you are looking for.

David