[talk-au] Roadside rest areas tagged as camp sites

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 09:50:07 UTC 2017

On 20-Apr-17 06:07 PM, David Bannon wrote:

> Warin, may I please refer you to the first sentence from the
> tourism=camp_site tag ?
>
> "A campsite <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:campsite> or campground
> is an area, usually divided into a number of pitches, where people can
> camp overnight using tents or camper vans or caravans."
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dcamp_site
>
> Similarily, the camp_site=* page says
>
> "In OSM speak, a "camp site" is the larger area that contains one or
> more "camp pitches". A camp pitch is the area where one caravan, motor
> home or family tent is setup."
>
> The page goes on to define camp_site=basic as applying to "Roadside
> stops" as well as other likely places.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:camp_site
>
> In both cases the meaning is clear. The term "camp site" does not in
> any way imply canvas only. People may camp  there using tents,
> campers, caravans or motor homes. Removing camp_site tags because the
> site does not suit one particular style of camping is not appropriate.
>
> Adding tent=no might be the solution you are looking for.
>
> David

Thanks. Sometimes my 'plain English' understanding gets the better of
the 'OSM meanings'!

However ...

a) I do think that 'rest areas' should be tagged using the rest area
tag. It is what they are officially called, and OSM has a tag for them.
If they were tagged as rest areas I would know what to expect, having
camp site symbols on the map for rest areas does not help distinguish
them from 'real' camp sites. Nor does it convey their intended purpose.

b) Using the tag 'tourism=camp_site' to me implies that I should be able
to set up a tent there. And many of these rest areas are not appropriate
for tents. The tent=no tag might get a lot of use from me.

c) If they are appropriate for caravans/camper vans then there is the
caravan_site or caravan=yes tag that would better represent the features
facility?