[talk-au] Roadside rest areas tagged as camp sites

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 11:50:52 UTC 2017

On 21-Apr-17 07:40 PM, David Bannon wrote:
> On 20/04/17 19:50, Warin wrote:
>>
>> Thanks. Sometimes my 'plain English' understanding gets the better of
>> the 'OSM meanings'!
> Hmm, I think people in caravans do think they are camping. If there is
> a sign, "no camping" we assume it means no caravans too.

True.
The 'officials' seam to be thinking that a single over night 'rest' is
fine, but multiple nights = camping and that is not fine.. at least that
is my impression from the grey nomads site.
Anyone trying to turf someone 'resting due to fatigue' - even overnight
- would be on thin ground before a reasonable court as we are advised to
'rest' when tired.

>> a) I do think that 'rest areas' should be tagged using the rest area
>> tag.
> Honestly, I have never tagged a rest area. I go straight to thinking
> of it as a potential camp site, if not, I don't bother. Sorry....
> So I just read the rest_area key and I must say, its not really very
> useful IMHO. As its a key to highway= it needs to be applied to a way
> and not the surrounding area perhaps ?  Generally people don't camp on
> the drive through part but off the side. Mind you, have see a few
> people who have just stopped, closed the curtains and nod off !

Arr .. yes well the key has never been 'discussed', just put up by a
mapper. Presently it is shown as applying to nodes and areas, not ways
.. but if you go to the talk page you'll see some comments there
(including mine).
Better include a link for those that want a look
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Drest_area

>> b) Using the tag 'tourism=camp_site' to me implies that I should be
>> able to set up a tent there.
> Thats because you think "camp" means tent only. We've established that
> people camp using all sorts of infrastructure. Even truckies talk
> about 'camping' at some place or another.

You have made your point there. But I would find it strange to go to a
'camp site' and be unable to pitch a tent because it was unsuitable.
Think you'd find it strange to go to a camp site that did not have space
for a caravan? :)
Quite a few rest areas don't have suitable tent areas. A caravan only
needs a longer parking space.

>> c) If they are appropriate for caravans/camper vans then there is the
>> caravan_site or caravan=yes tag that would better represent the
>> features facility?
> I don't use tourism=caravan_site because I consider =camp_site more
> appropriate there being so many similarities and little point in
> distinguishing.  But I do use caravan=yes/no as a key to
> tourism=camp_site. In deference to your good self, I might use
> tent=yes/no a bit more often now :-)
Thanks ... I have used the caravan bits in areas set aside for them on
occasion.

>  I really think the camp_site part needs to be tagged because it
> allows a large range of informative tags to be added. Toilets, water,
> rubbish disposal, web_site and so on. So, would it work to tag the
> road part highway=rest_area and surrounding area tourism=camp_site ?
> Be OK for big ones like archers-creek-rest-area but smaller ones ?
Don't see any reason why these features cannot be added to the rest area
key/value.

> I guess my point here is a rest_area is a camp site and visa versa.
> Some allow you to camp overnight, some don't. Some might allow it but
> would be horrible. Just what information are we trying to impart ?

Errr No.

A camp site, to me, means I can stay there for quite some time. They are
usually pleasant places to stay with some comfort.
They are intended for people to;
stay, at least overnight and
relax at.

A rest area will be;
intended for people to relieve their driving fatigue buy taking a short
break,
close to a busy road and
probably have constant visits from people stopping for a rest .. say 15
to 30 minutes for a truck driver under their rules, sometimes longer...
and then they are off again.

They can be pleasant, or very unappealing.. some I have entered only to
leave straight away due to the rubbish left behind by others or the
numerous crowd.

Some have time limits of 20 hours (one state), some have signs 'no
camping' and there looks to be a consensus that a time limit will be
applied to avoid;
the rest area being full of multi-day 'campers' so people wanting a
break will not find it full
the commercial camp grounds being devoid of paying customers who are at
'rest areas'

This apparently lead the RMS NSW to putting up 'no camping' signs at
rest areas along the Pacific Hwy.

I think the difference between the two is relevant ... and usefull.
Much rather get to a proper camp ground than find myself at a rest area.
Even a local sports ground, church yard, cemetery or park can be much
better than a rest area. These areas too have social pressures for 'no
camping'. I would never mark them as camp sites unless that is normal
there.
(If you want to 'see' the varieties of camp sites unofficially used ..
google 'stealth camping'.)
P.S. If you want a quite, peaceful rest area .. try a cemetery.