[talk-au] A question about the license that applies to a product from OSM data

Andrew Harvey andrew at alantgeo.com.au
Mon Aug 14 04:43:27 UTC 2017

Hi Nick,

This might help
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/License/Use_Cases#Case_3:_I_want_to_publish_something_based_on_OSM_and_my_own_data
specifically it says:

If you created your data without any use of OSM, and don't merge it with
OSM, then you have a "collective" database, not a derivative database.
However, if you have any data that was derived from OSM - for instance
because you used street names from OSM, or you geocoded your data using
the locations of roads or building shapes in OSM - then you are making a
derivative database.
Cheers,
Andrew