[talk-au] Tagging dog off-lead areas

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 23:08:29 UTC 2017

On 13 December 2017 at 09:31, Philip Mallis <philip at philipmallis.com> wrote:

> I have been considering how to tag parks that allow dogs to be off-lead.
> I’ve had a look through the discussion on a proposed feature on OSM Wiki
> but there doesn’t appear to be a useful consensus
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Key:Dog.
>

> Does anyone have ideas or a precedent on how to proceed for an Australian
> context?

The wiki indicates that
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Ddog_park is the tag for
this.

> leisure=dog_park
> A designated area, with or without a fenced boundary, where dog-owners
are permitted to exercise their pets unrestrained

I've used this for both

1. dedicated fenced off areas designed for dogs like
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/429999094.
2. an existing feature which permits dogs off leash like leisure=pitch
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/205137157 overlapping the way for
leisure=dog_park https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/457196449

I think for the (2) type that's a good way to map as the area is sometimes
a sports field and sometimes a dog park based on the time of day.