[talk-au] When is a Road a Track

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 21:00:25 UTC 2017

The NSW LPT base map is particularly helpful for road classifications ..
tracks, unclassified, tertiary and paths.
It is in some ways better than a survey as it looks to take into account
the importance to the community and that is very hard to determine by
simply travelling the road.

Where a 'track' travels a long distance .. say over 50 km I would argue
that it is 'unclassified' as that length suggests it is not a simple
service/maintenance track but a connection between distant points.
As far as seeking out the 'interesting/adventure' roads .. I first look
for unpaved, then connecting. The old 'Tracks for Australia' garmin map
is helpful but well out of date.

The condition/difficulty of the road is best determined by travelling
the road, I don't add that detail unless I have travelled it. I do add
surface=unpaved/paved ...
on some bridges I remove the surface tag as I cannot be certain what is
there, on a few I change it to concrete.