[talk-au] When is a Road a Track

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Sat Feb 11 00:28:00 UTC 2017

On 11/02/17 07:00, Warin wrote:
> The NSW LPT base map is particularly helpful for road classifications
> .. tracks, unclassified, tertiary and paths.
> It is in some ways better than a survey as it looks to take into
> account the importance to the community and that is very hard to
> determine by simply travelling the road.
>
> Where a 'track' travels a long distance .. say over 50 km I would
> argue that it is 'unclassified' as that length suggests it is not a
> simple service/maintenance track but a connection between distant points.
> As far as seeking out the 'interesting/adventure' roads .. I first
> look for unpaved, then connecting. The old 'Tracks for Australia'
> garmin map is helpful but well out of date.

So your saying above that a track like the Canning Stock Route should be
an unclassified road?  It's about 1800kms and is definitely a track not
a road.  There are some sections you could possibly call an unclassified
road but they are not maintained.  For the majority of it's length it is
two wheel tracks through the scrub and sand dunes.

I'd suggest everyone have a read of the wiki pages for track and
unclassified.  I've always tagged them by looking to see if they are
maintained/graded.  If they are graded, and that's generally pretty
obvious from aerial imagery as well, then they are minimum
unclassified.  If not then they are tracks.

Have a look at this area in josm, with bing imagery

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/-30.0090/116.8188

or here it is on bing maps:

https://binged.it/2kcYMV6

and where it's unsealed

https://binged.it/2kd8irh

Looking at the road that comes up from the south east and then according
to MRWA it continues to the north west.
MRWA classifies the south east part as osm tertiary and the north west
part as unclassified.

However I'd tag the north west part as track as it's little more than
two wheel tracks through the scrub and the further you go along it the
more it deteriorates.