[talk-au] TAGGING a 'club' to a suburb rather than its actual street address ot isolate risk of theft/abuse

Kye Webb kye.webb2000 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 06:31:25 UTC 2017

 I have to agree with Ben..

It doesn't make sense to add tags to the place node. If the contact details were added to the place node, a thieve could pretend to be a new member and get the address... depends on your member enrollment system.

I am going to assume many businesses tagged in osm have valuable equipment readily available for thieves.

> On Jul 6, 2017 at 4:17 pm,  <Ben Kelley (mailto:ben.kelley at gmail.com)>  wrote:
>

> Hi.
>

> I think if the club has a location, then map a node at the club's location. (e.g. some type of amenity tag) Use the normal tags for contact details (phone number, web site).
>

> I don't think it makes sense to add tags to the place node.
>

>   - Ben.
>

> On 6/7/17 16:04, Gary Pope wrote:
>

> >  Intent: Would like to tag locations of many woodworking club houses around Australia Issue: * Woodworking clubs like to attract new members, or visiting members from other clubs * Woodworking clubs often contain expensive machinery - theft target * But they do have websites that we can link to * Some don't have websites, but newsletters (pdf) * If newsletters are linked to, they often contain personal names  &  phone numbers Proposal: * Add a tag to suburbs (place=suburb) that have woodworking clubs. Such as: * place=suburb, club:woodwork=yes, club:woodwork:website=website.org * Add a tag to woodwork clubs that want their clubhouse location known, such as: * club=woodwork (note craft/shop=woodwork would be wrong, as these places are not for commercial use) * Contact woodwork clubs and ask them if / how they wish to be tagged * Worst case scenario would be to create a separate database and host that as an overlay to OSM Issues: * Which tag(s) to use * Tagging suburbs with woodwor
k club facilities (Would very much like to know if this is ok, or if there are alternatives) * Legal issues (privacy?) if we were to link to newsletters * Woodworking club houses are often owned by the council, but can be privately owned - some extra info Any feedback would be very welcome.