[talk-au] TAGGING a 'club' to a suburb rather than its actual street address ot isolate risk of theft/abuse

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 11:06:40 UTC 2017

Arr .. the old equipment is actual very nice once you get rid of the
dirt, rust and replace the worn out rubber drives, electrical cables etc.
I have a few local woodworkers around me and they favour the older gear.
As in older .. say 25+ years.
The fact that is cast iron means it is very heavy and so moving it is
going to be a problem for theft.
They will take the modern portable powered stuff .. easily sold on ..
and that is easy to replace.
The reason why they would target the club is that they see it as not as
well protected as some other target.

So - how to reduce the risk? Take the 'attractive' portable power tools
home after each meeting?
People may want to use them at home anyway, so loaning them out ...
provided they come back or can be easily collected if required might be
good.

Could look at using OSM as a base map and then applying an overlay of
the clubs area on top of that.
But you will need your own website to display it and have a displayed
means of contacting the individual clubs ..
Once that is displayed then anyone can contact the club - find out where
it is and when meetings are not taking place and target them.
The anti theft thing gains little.. and the loss is that it is not
displayed/advertised on the OSM map which has a wide audience - most
cell phone users have an OSM source map on their phone.
Unless the club wants to hide away and not have any new blood then I see
little advantage in not advertising the clubs presence .. particularly
to people local in the area.