[talk-au] AU Data licensing

Andrew Harvey andrew at alantgeo.com.au
Fri Jul 14 01:25:22 UTC 2017

In theory, yes it should be at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#Australia. However it's a bit if a minefield in my opinion.
For example there is "Victorian Government data" listed there but no details on why OSM is able to use it.
Then you have others like "Australian Capital Territory Government data" where it notes explicit permission but upon following up, it turns this permission is not enough as it only covers the attribution waiver and not the other bits as required at https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/03/17/use-of-cc-by-data/. See https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2017-May/008618.html.
In my opinion we desperately need someone with legal/licensing expertise to review CC BY sources and work to either get the OSMF CC BY waiver completed and mark them as clear leaving everything else unavailable.