[talk-au] data.gov.au datasets and PSMA Administrative Boundaries

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 01:04:43 UTC 2017

Hi Cleary,
I suggest that the best way to get governments to change licensing
policy, and get data into Open Street Map is to go to the media.
The problem is that people who understand the problem (OSM mappers)
don't have political clout, and politicians who have the power don't
understand the problem, and 99% of voters who put the politicians in
positions of power don't understand the problem.

So the path forward is to get the problem explained in newspapers.

I'm looping in Anthony Wallace, who writes for Spatial Source.
Anthony a story could go:
* Government has decided it is good for the country to open data
* Government has created licenses to achieve this
* The good test to see if such policy is working is to see if open data
sources (wikipedia, open street map) are using the data
* Currently this is not the case
* Phone up someone in the government and try and get a quote from them
* Lets now make government accountable

Anthony, this story will be good for spatial source, but you really want
to see it in mainstream news channels as well. The ABC, The Australian, ...
Are you interested in approaching these news agencies to republish your
story?

Warm regards, Cameron Shorter