[talk-au] Tagging - World Solar Challenge - Darwin to Adelaide

Alex Sims alex at softgrow.com
Fri May 19 10:19:41 UTC 2017

I’m not quite sure how to resolve this.

There is a relation http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7107501#map=5/-24.173/134.723 <http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7107501#map=5/-24.173/134.723> for the World Solar Challenge that runs from Darwin to Adelaide.

It is a relation tagged as highway=raceway

This is now propagating on to assorted apps as well as the slippy map and I’m finding it confusing.

I’m not sure if it should be
- deleted as it is not “on the ground” and verifiable
- made into a “ref” tag, like a highway alternative name, e.g A1, B2, C3
- something else.

I do find it a bit odd though as in the parts through Adelaide there is no signage, so it is more of an administrative feature like a suburb boundary but even less so. It only has use once a year and it is more the route of an event. I see the various odd shaped vehicles go by, but the road is not closed, it is more a cavalcade of vehicles passing along normal highways, subject to normal highway rules

Thoughts, suggestions?

Alex