[talk-au] Tagging - World Solar Challenge - Darwin to Adelaide

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri May 19 11:06:49 UTC 2017

On 19-May-17 08:19 PM, Alex Sims wrote:
> I’m not quite sure how to resolve this.
>
> There is a relation
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7107501#map=5/-24.173/134.723 for
> the World Solar Challenge that runs from Darwin to Adelaide.
>
> It is a relation tagged as highway=raceway
I would delete the tag 'highway=raceway' ... not good.

> This is now propagating on to assorted apps as well as the slippy map
> and I’m finding it confusing.
>
> I’m not sure if it should be
> - deleted as it is not “on the ground” and verifiable
> - made into a “ref” tag, like a highway alternative name, e.g A1, B2, C3
> - something else.

It is a route and suitable  as a relation. I would tend to encourage the
use of OSM, rather than see them go to gxxxle ...

> I do find it a bit odd though as in the parts through Adelaide there
> is no signage, so it is more of an administrative feature like a
> suburb boundary but even less so. It only has use once a year and it
> is more the route of an event. I see the various odd shaped vehicles
> go by, but the road is not closed, it is more a cavalcade of vehicles
> passing along normal highways, subject to normal highway rules
>
> Thoughts, suggestions?

Perhaps
route=solar_challenge ? rather than route=raceway ...
opening_hours="October to December" might be a reasonable addition.

They do have similar events elsewhere  ... I would like to see them use
OSM too.

I have raised this on the tagging group to see if they have any
'international' ideas.