[talk-au] The place Biniguy

Andrew Davidson theswavu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 05:33:49 UTC 2017

On 7/10/17 08:59, Warin wrote:

> Rather inconsistent!
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biniguy,_New_South_Wales says the
> population 2011 was over 600.

Yeap, need to be careful when interpreting ABS data. In 2011 Biniguy was
a 2500 square kilometre locality and had a population of 625. By 2016
the Biniguy locality had been shrunk considerably and has a population
of 147. The population of the "CBD" around the silo is a massive 78
(plus/minus the random error the ABS adds "to protect the
confidentiality of data"). The old NATMAP standard was that you needed a
population of at least 200 to be considered a populated place, so I'm
not sure if Biniguy even qualifies to be a hamlet.

> The relation looks to define the area. Does this need a place tag at all?

I don't know. When I started importing the NSW admin_level 10 boundaries
the existing tagging practice was to add a place tag. I set all of my
place tags to locality by default and added a fixme tag to review this.
The most important thing seems to be to add the place node to the admin
relation as a label as this lets consumers like Nominatim know that they
are the same thing (it also allows the two place tags to be
programmatically checked).