[talk-au] The place Biniguy

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 07:13:56 UTC 2017

On 9 October 2017 at 16:04, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> One problem is that 'locality' does not translate well.
> I'd think that any admin area would have someone resident in the area.
> So tagging them OSM 'locality' may not be the best?
>
> OSM says 'hamlet ' is less then 100-200 people. think that fits best?

But what do we do when those "few" people are spread out over a largish
area, with no central location?

The area of Lamington in SEQ
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/-28.2351/152.9940, was, I thought,
originally a locality, but is now shown as a hamlet.

Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamington,_Queensland says that in 2011,
it had a population of 463 people, but they're spread out over probably
200km2, if not more?

The "heart" of Lamington consists of 2 camping grounds, 5k apart, one of
which has a cafe / recreation centre (School camping type of arrangement)
next door, http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/-28.28710/153.03499, a
handful of B&B's & farms & that's about it.

To me, it should probably be a locality as there's nothing really there, a
hamlet, IMHO, should feature a central clump of at least some homes /
buildings, that you can point to & say "Yep, that's wherever" :-)

Thanks

Graeme