[talk-au] Using data from traditional owners of the land / Current waiver form

Phil Wyatt phil at wyatt-family.com
Sat Aug 18 02:42:52 UTC 2018

HI Ewen,

I can answer some of your queries

3 - Re the waiver - try this page - https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/GettingPermission

2 - I am not sure a track could be copyright-able unless it was solely on private/indigenous land. I have been involved in track management in Tasmania for years and whilst we have generally agreed that 'tracks' should be on maps we have also ensured that more remote 'pads and routes' were not on maps to maintain the recreational opportunity spectrum (track classifications from Wheelchair accessible to remote off track experiences).

In this instance you will likely face a couple of issues - the changing location of the track depending on season etc and secondly, does it exist on the ground in any formal way (ie markers etc). If it does exist on the ground, on public land then I would say it could be traced into OSM (or from gps plots) on the general alignment.

3 - If it's on indigenous lands then I would certainly speak to the traditional owners to determine the level of invitation that they would like on their land. They may also have other ideas on what should be depicted as far as points of interest. A joint project with them would be ideal to determine all the correct tags on the track ways.

I am assuming that you are talking about the Lurujarri Heritage Trail - http://www.goolarabooloo.org.au/where-is-it.html

Cheers - Phil