[talk-au] Building Import for Ballarat - interest?

Daniel O'Connor daniel.oconnor at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 16:51:24 UTC 2018

Hey folks,
Another mapper, Pierce, has pointed out
https://data.gov.au/dataset/ballarat-3d-buildings is available.

>From a cursory review, the data seems to be similar to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geelong_Building_Import - also CC BY A
3.0, and I think covered by the existing data.gov.au explicit permission.

The data mostly offers a building footprint (shape) and a height attribute
in metres; about 44,000 buildings - call it about 44? mapping hours to
merge, import a small batch, run validations, review, upload?

I'm not a Ballarat local, but it is a heavily mapped town with substantial
existing buildings - many of these would gain height data.

1) Are people interested in an import like this?
2) Are there locals who can help spot check the data against local
knowledge, to assess how accurate it is before any import; and after?