[talk-au] Deserts, mapping and sources

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 09:49:14 UTC 2018

On 17 January 2018 at 13:11, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

>> A wetland too has a fuzzy boundary, much like a desert.
> Deserts are  well known .. talk of 'crossing the Simpson Desert' and most
> people will have some idea of what your doing and where you are doing it.
> Not mapping them simply leads to missing information.

I'm okay with mapping fuzzy boundaries in the case where there is no
precise border, or even just a rough outline as a place holder until it can
be refined. At least that way someone searching for that named desert could
find roughly where it is.

It already happens with mapping wooded areas, which were mapped using low
resolution satellite imagery, but gradually are being made more accurate
from higher res aerials.