[talk-au] Mapping Indigenous Place Names

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 22:44:39 UTC 2018

On 26 January 2018 at 23:33, David Dean <ddean at ieee.org> wrote:

> Absolutely. If the more specific language code is known, it should be used.

Indeed Tasmania uses a lot of name:xtz eg.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/123026960 and
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/vql, Uluru uses name:pjt, hopefully there are a
lot more. I think name:aus should only really be used if you don't know
which more specific ISO code to use.

On 27 January 2018 at 07:53, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Should the English language ones be recorded as name:eng=Ayers Rock ?

I think they may be entered as alt_name, possibly they also should be
> recorded as name:eng too (a duplication).

name:eng and name:en are the same thing according to
https://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/langcodes_name.php?code_ID=130

The English name of Uluru is Uluru not Ayers Rock. I'd be in favour of
moving Ayers Rock to the old name. official_name could still be "Uluru /
Ayers Rock" as that's what's it's officially designated as.

I'd prefer we didn't use name=Uluru (Ayers Rocks) and instead just used
name=Uluru as it should be left up to data consumers how they want to
display alternate names, with Ayers Rock either as old_name or alt_name.