[talk-au] Fixing NSW Locality boundaries

Andrew Davidson theswavu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 09:12:54 UTC 2018

That would be the import that Cleary and I did back in 2016 when we got
permission to use the NSW LPI data in OSM.

I tag all of the admin_level=10 boundaries place=locality with the
intention of going back later and modifying them to match the place
value on the place node. However, the place nodes in NSW are in a bit of
a mess and could do with a clean up before linking them to the
boundaries. I proposed fixing these up back in April 2016
(https://www.mail-archive.com/talk-au@openstreetmap.org/msg10307.html)
but there were licensing problems and mapper resistance to the idea. As
a result it moved the job into the "I cannot be bothered dealing with
this" category and I moved on to other mapping tasks.

You are welcome to fix these but, as there are about 4500 of these, I
wouldn't recommend doing them by hand.

As to checking: I have occasionally gone back and checked to see if
there have been changes to the boundaries and updated them. They're
pretty stable and if there are changes they are usually listed in the
G-NAF release notes.