[talk-au] Routing through a park that doesn't have actual paths

Jonathon Rossi jono at jonorossi.com
Wed Jan 31 14:10:43 UTC 2018

In the past I've mapped exactly what I've surveyed on the ground in local
parks, however I've recently been using the OSM routing feature rather than
from other services and I've discovered it can't route directly across a
park that is just grass.

In the following example, I've mapped:
- the short grass track (eastern side) that council are likely
inadvertently making each time they bring vehicles through the gate to mow
the park (the rest of the park boundary has timber bollards),
- trails that lead from the Greater Glider Conservation Area out into the
park, the small bit of the "Trail Circuit" in the park isn't actually a
well defined path it just opens up but it isn't grass and the amount of
trees keep it path like
- other well formed paths that lead out to roads

https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=graphhopper_foot&route=-27.54259%2C153.22173%3B-27.54227%2C153.21904#map=18/-27.54200/153.22056

The OSM Wiki states:

> Ways (highway=path or highway=footway) leading into a park from a road,
should always be connected to the road for routing purposes. It's debatable
whether they should connect to the park area with a shared node, or cross
over the polygon without connecting. TODO discuss
> (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure=park)

If a park is just a big grass area (with maybe a few obstacles like a
playground) then it feels like the responsibility of the routing engine to
just do this (maybe with an access tag to say it is okay to do so). It
feels wrong for us mappers to map a "grass" path through the park from each
entrance that we feel is a main thoroughfare.

Am I missing something, have others "fixed" this problem elsewhere?

Jono