[talk-au] Postcodes in South Australia

Alex Sims alex at softgrow.com
Mon Jun 4 07:03:28 UTC 2018

Hi,

I’m getting increasingly frustrated with how my GPS (OpenStreetMap on Garmin via mkgmap) and the OpenStreetMap Nominatim handle postcodes in South Australia with a lot of defaulting to 5000 (Adelaide CBD)

I am assuming that a given suburb or locality maps to a single postcode (excluding institution’s which I don’t think we care about) but that a postcode my map to more than one suburb or locality

Given that I can see two ways of doing this (manual editing):

  1.  Find a sign, say outside a post office in a suburb/locality and use that value for that suburb/locality
  2.  Use the ABS definitions as a guide

Any comments as to things I’ve not thought of with regards to licensing/accuracy?

Alex