[talk-au] Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:23:11 UTC 2018

On 03/06/18 20:12, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> On 3 June 2018 at 21:48, Dion Moult <dion at thinkmoult.com
> <mailto:dion at thinkmoult.com>> wrote:
>
>     I've started using OSM more and more and I find it frustrating
>     that many house addresses are not available in OSM. I would like
>     to help by tracing many houses using ESRI as a base map (feel free
>     to audit my history on OSM under the name "Moult").  I would also
>     like to add address information (addr:housenumber and addr:street)
>     to these ways however I don't think that we are meant to be
>     copying from Google maps. Is there another map source that has
>     addresses that we can use? Perhaps some form of government
>     cadastre map? Is that allowed?
>

> What do you mean by "ESRI as a base map" do you mean the "ESRI World
> Imagery" available in ID and JOSM? ESRI's map layers are not allowed,
> just like Google Maps or Google Street View which must not be used as
> we don't have the copyright permissions to use these.

As a bit of background, see
https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-osm-editor/issues/104 and
https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-hub/constituent-engagement/esri-world-imagery-in-openstreetmap/?rmedium=redirect&rsource=blogs.esri.com%2Fesri%2Farcgis%2F2017%2F08%2F24%2Fworld-imagery-in-osm
.  I'm not a lawyer, but that github issue has contributions both from
ESRI and members of OSMF's LWG, so I'd definitely read it.

Best Regards,

Andy