[talk-au] Increased precision options for Australia - QZSS, SBAS or Galileo

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 02:56:41 UTC 2018

If you use RTK https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_kinematic you should
get centimeter accuracy, but expect to pay $10k+.

https://www.swiftnav.com seems like a cheaper option but not sure if it
works in Australia and it not a consumer device, seems they just sell the
boards.

...once you obtain sub-meter accuracy, keep in mind the whole continent is
moving so even if you had no error in your GPS, a node someone entered in
OSM in 2007 from GPS would be almost a meter out from someone entering it
into OSM today.

The SBAS trial was only aviable to selected people as part of the trial,
does anyone know if it'll will work on regular devices, or will we need to
run additional software, for Android, iOS?